WASHINGTON/TEHRAN (MNN): US President Donald Trump has said that a memorandum of understanding for a peace agreement with Iran has been “largely negotiated” and details of the proposed deal will be announced soon.
In a statement shared on Truth Social, Trump said the “final aspects and details” of the agreement were still under discussion but significant progress had already been achieved.
He stated that one of the key elements of the agreement would be the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, the strategically important maritime route for global oil shipments.
Trump added that he had separately spoken with leaders of several Muslim-majority countries as well as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, describing his conversation with Netanyahu as “very positive”.
Speaking to CBS News, Trump said Washington and Tehran were getting “closer and closer” to reaching an agreement.
“Every day, it gets better and better,” he said, adding that any final deal would ensure that Iran’s enriched uranium issue was addressed satisfactorily.
However, the US president declined to provide additional details and stressed that he would only approve a deal that fulfilled all American demands.
Meanwhile, the United States Central Command announced that its forces had redirected 100 commercial vessels as part of the maritime blockade imposed against Iran since April 13.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said the nuclear issue was not currently part of the initial framework being drafted to end the conflict with the United States.
He told Iranian state television that Tehran had decided to prioritise ending the war on all fronts, including the situation in Lebanon, before discussing nuclear matters separately at a later stage.
Baghaei said Iran had included the lifting of the US naval blockade and arrangements related to the Strait of Hormuz in a proposed 14-point memorandum of understanding with Washington.
He accused the United States of conducting “piracy” against international maritime navigation and stressed that the issue of the Strait of Hormuz remained central to negotiations.
According to Iranian state media, Baghaei said Tehran was finalising a 14-point framework agreement with the United States and that discussions on details could continue over the next 30 to 60 days before a final accord is reached.
While acknowledging what he called a “trend towards rapprochement” with Washington, the Iranian spokesperson cautioned that important differences still remained between the two sides.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio also expressed optimism, saying there was a possibility that Iran could accept a deal within days.
Speaking to reporters in New Delhi, Rubio said he hoped there would soon be positive developments regarding negotiations.
Esmaeil Baghaei further stated that any mechanism concerning the Strait of Hormuz should be agreed upon between Iran, Oman and the countries bordering the strategic waterway.
He maintained that the United States had “nothing to do” with arrangements related to the strait.
Baghaei also confirmed that Pakistan continued to play a central mediation role in ongoing negotiations between Tehran and Washington.






















































































