TEHRAN (MNN); Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of Army Staff Asim Munir held intensive negotiations with the Iranian leadership over the past 24 hours, resulting in what the Inter-Services Public Relations described as “encouraging progress towards a final understanding”.
In a statement issued on Saturday following the conclusion of the army chief’s visit to Tehran, the military’s media wing said the discussions were conducted in a positive and constructive environment and contributed significantly to the ongoing mediation process.
The visit came amid efforts to move negotiations beyond political signalling toward detailed discussions on issues including the Strait of Hormuz, Iran’s nuclear programme, sanctions relief and guarantees against renewed military action.
According to the ISPR, the field marshal’s engagements with Iranian leaders formed part of ongoing mediation efforts aimed at promoting de-escalation and constructive engagement following regional tensions that persisted after the April 8 ceasefire.
The statement said both sides focused on accelerating the consultative process to support regional peace and stability and help achieve a conclusive agreement.
The Iranian leadership also appreciated Pakistan’s constructive role in facilitating dialogue and promoting peaceful solutions to regional disputes.
During the visit, Field Marshal Asim Munir met Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni.
Pakistan has intensified diplomatic efforts in recent days to break the deadlock between Iran and the United States.
Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi visited Tehran earlier this week for the second time within days to help revive stalled negotiations. During previous meetings, he held talks with senior Iranian leadership, including the president, parliament speaker and foreign minister.
Field Marshal Asim Munir had also visited Iran last month alongside Mohsin Naqvi, where he met Abbas Araghchi and other senior officials as part of de-escalation efforts.
The mediation process has expanded over the past 48 hours, with Qatar dispatching a negotiating delegation to Tehran in coordination with Washington, while Saudi Interior Minister Abdulaziz bin Saud Al Saud also spoke with Mohsin Naqvi in Tehran.
An Iranian diplomat in China praised Beijing’s peace initiative during the conflict, saying it was presented with Pakistan’s support.
Regional diplomats have also noted signs of softer messaging from the United Arab Emirates in favour of de-escalation and uninterrupted maritime trade.
The latest diplomatic contacts are taking place amid mounting pressure from Washington and its Middle Eastern allies.
US President Donald Trump recently said negotiations in Iran had entered the final stages and warned that military strikes could resume if an agreement was not reached within a limited timeframe.
Iran, meanwhile, warned that any US attack could expand confrontation beyond the Middle East, while insisting diplomacy remained possible.
A day earlier, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio praised Pakistan’s mediation efforts and described Islamabad as Washington’s “primary interlocutor” in the talks.
Rubio said Pakistan had done an admirable job in facilitating dialogue and added that the United States remained in constant communication with Field Marshal Asim Munir at the highest levels.
Diplomatic sources said the evolving process increasingly resembled a phased stabilisation effort rather than negotiations aimed at achieving a comprehensive settlement.






















































































