TEHRAN: Iran’s armed forces have warned Middle Eastern countries against providing any assistance to the United States military, following the United Arab Emirates’ decision to suspend all economic dealings with Tehran amid escalating regional tensions.
The warning came on Wednesday as the Strait of Hormuz remained a major flashpoint despite a recent reduction in direct hostilities between Iran and the United States. Attacks on commercial shipping have continued in the strategically vital waterway.
A proposed US-Iran framework agreement aimed at reopening the trade route has collapsed. While both sides had recently indicated that messages were being exchanged, US President Donald Trump insisted on Tuesday that talks were off and shared a social media post portraying the strait as a “NEW U.S. Territory”.
Iranian armed forces chief of staff Ali Abdollahi warned that regional countries could be considered participants in US military operations if they assisted American forces.
“any assistance or facilitation provided to the aggressor US military amounts to participation in the US military operation”.
Since the beginning of the conflict, several Middle Eastern countries have maintained that they would not allow the US to use their territory to launch attacks. However, Abdollahi questioned whether host governments were fully unaware of American military activities at bases in the region.
“It seems unlikely that such a large number of military aircraft, particularly refuelling aircraft, could be present at regional bases without knowledge of host countries,” said Abdollahi, adding Gulf countries “should know that we are fully aware of the situation”.
Reports have claimed that Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Kuwait and Bahrain struck targets inside Iran in response to attacks by Tehran on Gulf states. However, the countries involved have largely denied those reports.
UAE halts economic dealings
The warning came hours after the UAE announced that it was suspending all trade and financial relations with Iran.
“In light of regional escalations… all trade, commercial exchanges, and financial transactions with Iran have been halted until further notice,” foreign ministry communications director Afra Al Hameli said.
Earlier on Tuesday, Abu Dhabi accused Iran of launching two ballistic missiles towards the UAE, although it later clarified that the missiles had been directed at shipping.
The UAE and Iran have historically maintained close cultural and historical links, while the Emirates has also been home to a large Iranian community. Before the conflict, the UAE was a significant trading partner for Iran despite US sanctions.
The UAE recalled its ambassador from Tehran early in the conflict and has since closed Iran-linked schools and a hospital.


























































































