HONGKONG: Firefighters continued battling a massive fire on Thursday that tore through a high-rise residential complex in Hong Kong, killing at least 44 people and leaving hundreds unaccounted for, according to authorities.
The blaze the city’s deadliest in decades ignited Wednesday afternoon across an eight-building estate containing 2,000 flats, shocking a city known for some of the world’s tallest and most crowded residential towers.
Police reported early Thursday that three men had been arrested in connection with the disaster, saying flammable materials left behind during maintenance work allowed the fire “to spread rapidly beyond control”. Officers also searched properties in another district, seizing binders of documents linked to the suspects, who investigators believe “acted with gross negligence” by leaving foam packaging at the scene.
AFP reporters observed flames still burning in some units shortly after sunrise, though the intensity had lessened overnight.
The fire initially erupted on bamboo scaffolding surrounding several 31-storey towers of Wang Fuk Court in Tai Po, where large-scale renovation work was underway. Loud cracking noises possibly from burning bamboo were heard as thick smoke poured from the estate and flames shot skyward.
A 65-year-old resident surnamed Yuen, who has lived in the complex for more than 40 years, said many neighbours are elderly and may have struggled to escape. “The windows were closed because of the maintenance, (some people) didn’t know there was a fire and had to be told to evacuate via phone calls by neighbours,” Yuen told AFP. “I’m devastated.”
Officials raised the death toll to 44 on Thursday morning. Among them was a 37-year-old firefighter discovered with facial burns roughly half an hour after losing contact with his team, according to fire services chief Andy Yeung.
A government spokesman told AFP that 56 people were hospitalised ,16 in critical condition, 24 serious and 16 stable.
Chief Executive John Lee reported early Thursday that 279 people were unaccounted for, though firefighters later managed to contact some of them. More than 900 residents sought refuge in temporary shelters. Lee said he was “deeply saddened” and that all government departments were supporting victims.
At one shelter, a police officer said the number of missing was uncertain as residents continued arriving late into the night to report loved ones who hadn’t returned home.
Charred scaffolding collapsed from the burning buildings as flames erupted from windows, casting an orange glow over the neighbourhood.
“The temperature at the scene is very high and there are some floors where we have been unable to reach people who requested help, but we will keep trying,” said Derek Armstrong Chan, deputy director of fire service operations. He noted that wind and drifting debris likely helped spread the blaze between buildings, though the exact cause remains under investigation.
Chinese President Xi Jinping expressed condolences to victims, including “the firefighter who died in the line of duty”, according to state media.
Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif also extended sympathy, saying he was deeply saddened by the loss of life and property. “Our heartfelt condolences go out to President Xi Jinping and the Chinese nation, particularly the people of Hong Kong on this tragic incident,” he said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the bereaved families, and we wish a speedy recovery to all those injured.”
He added that “Pakistan stands in solidarity with the people and government of China, especially the Hong Kong SAR”.
Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar similarly said he was deeply saddened by the “devastating fire”. “On behalf of the government and people of Pakistan, I extend our deepest condolences and profound sympathy…” he said.
A 57-year-old Tai Po resident surnamed So said the disaster was “heartbreaking”. “There’s nothing that can be done about the property. We can only hope that everyone, no matter old or young, can return safely,” So told AFP.
Another apartment owner, who declined to give his name, said authorities must support those who lost their homes. “The fire is not yet under control and I dare not leave, and I don’t know what I can do,” he said.
Residents were evacuated by coaches, and local media reported that neighbouring blocks were also cleared. A nearby highway was shut down to aid the firefighting effort.
Although deadly fires were once common in densely packed Hong Kong particularly in poorer districts, improved safety standards in recent decades have made such disasters increasingly rare.



































































