DELHI (MNN); Emmanuel Macron on Thursday announced that France and India are moving towards deeper defence collaboration, including plans for joint production of Rafale fighter jets and helicopters, while expressing hope to secure additional submarine deals with New Delhi.
Speaking at the conclusion of his three-day visit to India, Macron described India’s expected order of 114 additional Rafale aircraft as a major step forward in bilateral defence relations. He said Paris aims to expand cooperation through co-production arrangements in India.
India’s Defence Acquisition Council recently granted preliminary approval for the procurement of 114 more Rafale jets for the Indian Air Force, along with other aircraft and missile systems. The move comes months after heightened tensions and armed clashes between India and Pakistan in May 2025.
India has previously inducted 36 Rafale jets into its air force and placed an order for 26 naval variants for its navy. According to Indian media, the proposed 114 jets — manufactured by Dassault Aviation — could cost approximately 3.25 trillion Indian rupees (around 35.65 billion dollars), with up to 90 aircraft potentially produced in India through a joint venture partner yet to be finalised.
Macron emphasised that Rafale cooperation remains central to the strategic partnership and expressed hope that similar collaboration would extend to submarines. The Indian Navy currently operates six French-built Scorpene submarines and is reportedly considering further acquisitions.
Earlier this week, Macron and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi also announced the establishment of the first H125 helicopter assembly line in India under a joint venture between Airbus and Tata Advanced Systems. Additionally, Safran and India’s Bharat Electronics are set to jointly manufacture Hammer missiles in India.
Rafale aircraft were prominently discussed following the four-day Pakistan-India conflict in May 2025. Pakistan claimed it shot down six Indian fighter jets, including Rafales, during the clashes. India acknowledged suffering some losses but rejected claims of losing six aircraft.
In September, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif told the United Nations General Assembly that the Pakistan Air Force had turned “seven Indian jets” into scrap during the conflict.























































































